Skip to main content

Tips on How to Decorate Bookshelves around a TV

ShelvesMain3_650
Earlier this month I told you that I would be doing ONE goal every month in 2017 and that my first goal was to decorate my new Liatorp shelves from IKEA. Honestly, when I took this on I had NO idea how much space these shelves held... but, IT IS A LOT. I landed up shopping at Hobby Lobby and Target for most of the items. However, when Commercial Silk contacted me about reviewing one of their products, it couldn't have been at a better time!


Left3
When selecting my item from Commercial Silk, I knew I had to order them in a size that would fit the shelves. I found these adorable Artificial Grasses in Faux Wooden Boxes and they are just the perfect size. What was even more perfect is that they came as a set of 6! I am really pleased with the quality, they look real inside the shelves and the faux wooden box they are in has a beautiful stain and looks like real wood. It was nice to be able to add a little greenery to the shelves, because I decorated them in mostly neutrals, such as whites, golds and tans.

If you are looking for artificial silk greenery for your home, Commercial Silk has a huge selection! Be sure to check out their Artificial Boxwood and Boxwood Hedge Trimmed Topiary for Exterior pages!

You can also find Commercial Silk at:
Facebook   Twitter    Google+    Pinterest


ShelvesMain3
Decorating this much space was a little tricky and I did quite a bit of research on decorating bookshelves before I ventured out to shop for items for it. What helped was to keep a pattern going on each side (i.e.: baskets in the same spot on each side, the plants on the same side, etc.). Sometimes I would place a basket or plant on the inner side on the right, but on the outer side on the left to add a little visual interest. I also had to bring a tape measure with me to measure everything I purchased. I wrote up a chart that told me the measurements of each shelf. Not all of the shelves were the same size, so I had to be careful everything would fit. 

I also selected a color scheme of golds, whites and tans with a little natural green mixed in with the plants.


Now I'll give you a tour on how I decorated these beautiful shelves. Let's start with the Left Side:
Right9
On both sides (the left and right shelves on each side of the TV) I purchased 4 baskets. One of the baskets is thinner, because the other size would not fit on that shelf. I also added two plants on each side of the bookshelves. I purchased the baskets and gold spikes from Target, the plants from Commercial Silk and all of the accessories are from Hobby Lobby. I put scrapbook paper in the frames for now, but I plan to fill them with photos from our trip to Italy last summer when I get a chance!


Left9
Detail shot.


Center of the Bookshelf:
Right10
The center of the bookshelf has smaller shelves, so I had to find some items that would fit here! My favorite is the little day to day calendar with blocks that I found in Hobby Lobby's office aisle. I love how the b/w striped plate matches the b/w stripes on the side of the calendar. You can also remove the middle shelf if you want, so you can place bigger items on these shelves.


Middle1
I wanted to share a close up of the two center shelves, the photo above shows the left side.


Middle2
The photo above shows the right side of the center shelf.


Right Side of Bookshelf:
Right4
This is what the right bookshelf looks like inside. I can change out what the Lightbox says and you'll see I filled the frames with scrapbook paper again.


Right6

Right7
A couple of detail shots.


ShelvesMain2
And that's it! I hope you enjoyed seeing how I decorated these shelves and that you took away some ideas! I still have some things to work on in the room, such as getting the matching coffee table and a new rug. It's a work in process! Have a great day!

My blogging friend Lauren from Mom Home Guide is also sharing how she styled an item from Commercial Silk today:
console-table-faux-grass-planter
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Ways to Bring Spring Into Your Home

The weather here in St. Louis has gone from 70 degrees to tornado watches/warnings and now to possible snow/ice this weekend. Whew! I am SO ready for Spring and for Daylight Saving Time. Today I'm sharing with you how to bring Spring to your home sooner with 5 Ways To Bring Spring Into Your Home . Bringing a little Spring into your home is rather easy. You don't need to change up your entire decor, at least not yet... What I try to do is add little touches here and there. 1. Spring Wreaths One way that I bring Spring into my home is by placing a Spring wreath on my front door or on some of the interior doors in the home. My absolute favorite Spring wreath that I've done is my Split Pea Wreath below, but I'm currently working on a Tulip wreath which I'll be sharing in a couple of weeks! I'm also sharing a couple of other Spring wreaths that I've made below: Split Pea Wreath with Burlap Bow Some other Spring wreaths I've designed:   Simple Spring Hoop Wrea

Princess Smart Mirror {My Knight and Me}

I’m so excited to tell you about the adventure-packed new medieval animated series for kids from TeamTO,  My Knight and Me ! I'm also sharing a craft that you can work on with your little Princess- a Princess Smart Mirror! This mirror isn't really 'smart', but it is sparkly, wrapped in ribbons and even monogrammed with your favorite princesses initial! In the cartoon  My Knight and Me  they do have a smart mirror and this mirror will prompt your child with plenty of imaginative play! This show is currently airing on the Cartoon Network weekdays at 12 p.m. My Knight and Me is for kids ages 6-10 and follows the quests of a colorful and charismatic trio of knights in shining armor: loyal, street-smart Jimmy the Squire; daring and determined Cat the Princess; and bold and courageous Henri of Orange, Jimmy’s dad and a charmingly inept, yet passionately chivalrous knight who might not be the most efficient protector of the realm – but sure is the funniest! Together, the kni

12 Months of Goals - February & A Fruity Valentine's Surprise!

Last year I set 3 goals every month for myself and I accomplished a lot! This year, I wanted to down play it even more and just set ONE goal for myself. However, with just one goal each month I hope to devote more time to it. I did a little recap on January's Goal below, BUT if you visited the blog yesterday you saw that I did indeed get the IKEA Shelves decorated ! It was a lot of work, so I thought instead of doing a home decor or improvement project this month (because I need a little break!) I'd do something I've been wanting to do awhile and that won't take as much time.  Drumroll. In February I want to learn more about my Apple Watch! Brian purchased an Apple Watch for me for my birthday last August and I just LOVE it!  There are so many neat features on it, but yet there is SO much more that I haven't even figured out. I would love to take some time out this month to get to know my watch better. I would also love to share a post in February about what I'v