Skip to main content

Antique Suitcase Makeover

SuitcaseDone6_650
Hey everyone! Today I am sharing a DIY project that I have been wanting to do for a long time. My mom came over to St. Louis to live when she was 18 from my grandpa and ma's farm in rural Illinois. She brought ALL of her belongings in this suitcase! Her life on the farm was definitely different than my childhood or especially my kids! I've had this suitcase in my basement forever and when I opened it I found it packed with Barbie clothes from my childhood. I washed the Barbie clothes and gave them to Autumn. I left the suitcase open for awhile to air it out, because they had a wood burning stove in the farmhouse and I could still smell it inside the suitcase! I haven't done anything to the inside of the suitcase (maybe later), but I did paint the outside of it and I added a pinstripe to it! I have been looking for pieces to place on the bottom of my console table to decorate it with and it is the perfect addition! Plus, every time I look at it, it makes me think of my momma. :)


Suitcase1
Here is a before photo of the suitcase.


Suitcase2
I painted one coat of primer on it and two coats of paint. I used paint that we had leftover from painting our hall bathroom.


Suitcase3
I just adore the inside of this suitcase! I opened up the suitcase and painted around the leather on the inside. I did this with a small craft brush.


Suitcase4
I decided to paint the pinstripe on the top and back side only, because I wanted to paint the handle the darker gray. It would have been too much adding a pinstripe behind it.


SuitcaseDone5
And, here is how it turned out! I really need to get a mirror to hang behind this console table (I have my eye on one at Hobby Lobby), but one thing at a time, right? The suitcase looks perfect on the bottom! Sadly, I will be changing all this decor to Christmas decor VERY soon. A bloggers job is never done!


SuitcaseDone7


SuitcaseDone4
Hope you enjoyed this antique suitcase makeover. I have seen so many ideas on what you can do with an antique suitcase, such as turn it into a table, bar cart, decor... you name it! I actually didn't tell my mom I was painting her suitcase until I was done and to my delight, she loved how it turned out! I was a little nervous she'd be upset I painted it... but, nothing is safe in my house! :) Have a good Friday, y'all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Invisalign Journey (Trays 9-15) and Progression Photos

Today I am going to share a little more about My Invisalign Journey with you. Back in May, I shared my first Invisalign post HERE and talked about my first 8 trays with Invisalign. Today I am going to share some information and progression photos for Trays 9-15. And, no, I am not done with Invisalign yet. After your first round of trays (I had 15 trays), they start revision trays. Unfortunately, I found out I have 18 revision trays... I am currently on tray 3 of those. I will continue to share updates as my progress continues. I talk about why I went with Invisalign and what the entire process was like in my first post (see link below). I am not going to repeat it all in this post, but I will share my progression photos with you. If you have any questions, be sure to let me know in the comments. Past Invisalign Posts: My Invisalign Journey (Trays 1-8) and Progression Photos Progress Photos These are pictures of my teeth and some are close ups... so, just a little warning. :) Proba...

Y'all! I DID IT! 2016 Chicago Marathon Recap!!!

I am really excited to share this post with all of you today. I have been wanting to run a marathon for a really, really, REALLY long time. I was too afraid to do it, I was afraid I would fail. I started out running in 2009 after I had my daughter and signed up to run 500 miles in one year with friends I met on  Babycenter   I started out walking and running... but, I did it! I completed 500 miles in 2009. My first 5K was at our local zoo and then I branched out and did a Halloween 10K. After that, I signed up for my first half marathon here in St. Louis and my second half marathon was the Wine & Dine at Disney... My first half marathon time was 2:35 and my best has been 2:04 and a HUGE dream/goal of mine is to complete one in under 2:00 hours. But... first I toyed around with the idea of running a marathon.  All  of my running friends kept telling me to JUST DO IT. That I'd do just fine. But, I was sacred.... Finally, 7 years later I have RAN MY FIRST MARATHON! ...

Thursday Fashion Files Link Up #93 - Winter Flashback!

Welcome to Thursday Fashion Files! Welcome to Thursday Fashion Files with Jill at  Doused in Pink  and Carrie at  Curly Crafty Mom ! We are excited to have you here and would love to have you link up one of your latest outfits with us. We are always looking for Co-Hosts for Thursday Fashion Files. If you haven't signed up to Co-Host, but are interested, sign up by clicking  HERE . Visit our  Thursday Fashion Files Pinterest board ! We will be pinning our top two picks along with our own outfits for that week. Be sure to click  HERE  to join our Pinterest board! I don't know about you, but I always LOVE to go back and see what I wore LAST season. It reminds me of what's in my closet, what still works together and it gives me some new ideas. So, today I'm sharing a Winter Flashback post with you! Plaid Dress with Navy Blazer Adding a Little Mint to an Outfit in the Winter Lace Trimmed Tunic Plaid with Mustard Add a Little Shimmer this Winter with Elbow C...